UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Convoke

Friday, July 13, 2012

Convoke

Convoke

I convoked you all here this morning to let you know that it's 4.00 AM Central Daylight Savings time and the 'sband has awakened with

"Riiiiiiiiiiiiise n shine! RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISE N SHINE!"

I do love the guy, but there are fleeting moments...

Anyway, we're up before the crack of dawn to go hot-air ballooning (insert lame gastronomical joke here). Luckily when I get up this early I'm not crabby as much as I'm simply numb. Mind you, don't go outa yer way to piss me off, but I have an almost easier time of it now than if we got up at 5.30.

It's sort of like the big business guy who gets pissed off when he finds out someone stole a package of paper from the copier room. He deals in millions of dollars coming and going, winning and losing, on a daily basis, and doesn't get upset by that cuz he simply can't comprehend it. But seven bucks he can comprehend, dammit!!

What I'm saying is that I'm too numb to comprehend that I'm up three and a half hours earlier than normal. Maybe I should get up this early every morning. I could go through the day in a sort of numb haze. Nothing would bother me. Or make me particularly happy. As someone who's never been very good with emotions, that might not be a bad thing.

Speaking of numb, I've ridden my bike from Minneapolis to Chicago a few times for charity and would get up at 5.00 and be on the road at 6.00. At the end of day four, a couple of us went into town for frozen custard. I knew what I wanted but I was so numb from exhaustion that I'll be damned if I could vocalize "vanilla with chocolate almonds." So I just pointed to the menu on the wall behind the counter and said, "that one."

My co-hort: "She thinks you're high, you know."
Me: "Wh...what?"
Him: "The girl that took your order, she thinks you're high."
Me: "No she doesn't!"
Him: "BrieDank, your eyes are glassy, you can't form words, and you have perma-grin."

So I did the smartest thing I could think of. When she brought me my treat...

"I'm not high, you know."
"Of course you're not!"


Ah, phuque...

No comments:

Post a Comment