UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Quiddity

Friday, June 29, 2012

Quiddity

Quiddity

Of course myne reader will see the word and immediately he'll say to himself, he'll say,

"Oh boy, BrieDank is just gonna write about himself again."

Well, first of all, isn't that why we have blogs? And also, no I'm not! I don't think. I mean, I don't know - I make this up as I go along and Kelly is on TV, so how much can I really think about what I'm writing. Oh, and now Matthew McConaughey is on. He's OK, I guess. He's certainly not...you know. (I won't bother with the link - see yesterday's if this is yer first time.)

Uh oh. I just found this at Wikipedia:

"...another term for the essence of an object, literally its 'whatness,' or 'what it is.'"

"Whatness"?? Stupid philosophers. I suddenly feel like I owe all those corporadoes an apology for picking on them for making up words to sound cool. On the other hand, lots of words can have -ness put at the end to make them the quiddity of something.*

For example, nothingness. But why, pray tell, can there not be somethingness? I think from now on, instead of just wanting all or nothing, I'm going to demand allness or nothingness. Sort of takes it to a new level, doesn't it? And despite neither one being in the dictionary, I'm going to start discussing insideness and outsideness.

"The insideness of our modern lifestyle, coupled with bad diet, has added to the problem of child overweightness."

And why am I not making a living writing this stuff??

I was going to make a joke about slowness vs fastness. But...

"The fastness and stability characteristics of the individual brighteners are given in the tables in the appendix."
"Fastness and apparent efficiency are overthrowing legal procedures."
"They also have higher fixation rates and better fastness properties."

Euw. Obviously I've heard slowness many times (yes, it took me a long time to get used to it), but I've never heard fastness before. I have to say, those example statements from Dictionary.com are sorta making myne skin crawl.

Oh wait, I'm sorry. They're sorta covering myne skin with crawlness.

*See what I did there? I used the word. Proud of me?

No comments:

Post a Comment