UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Oftentimes

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Oftentimes

Oftentimes


Personally I think this should be ofttimes just because I like how it sounds, but they never ask me. Even now when I have a blog, they don't ask me. Not just a blog, but an important language blog, read by...

Fine, it's read by two people. I mentioned in the past that I had three readers, but my mom said that I was cutting in on her TMZ and The Smoking Gun time. Thanks, mom.

But what I want to know is how some words that are normally two (or three) suddenly become one. They do it all the time in the Germany.* But in English, of course, the whole thing makes no sense. I suppose it could be argued that it's like that they combine for a different nuance - say 'all ready' and 'already' for example.

So why isn't 'alot' one word? I'll admit, it drives me knutz when I see someone spell it that way, and this is not me hoping to get the rule changed, but by rights, shouldn't it be? It's no different from 'sometimes.'**

Screw it. I'm putting myne foot down right here and now and declare that from here on out, I shall not be using sometimes and oftentimes any longer, I will be using occasionaltimes and manytimes. Or perhaps for the latter I'll just go all the way and use awholelottatimes. I'm syque of these self-appointed dictionary writers telling me what I can and can't write.

You know who I really blame it on? The French. Stupid French.

*Did you know that in Germany when you ask for a large popcorn at the movie theater, you have to ask for the Grossehonkinmuelleimerpuffmais? It's true. Ask a Deutscherlandereneriner.
**As an aside (which is different from 'a side'), Lilly Allen just came on my Spotify singing Phuque You. Now, much to the 'Sband's dismay, 'phuque' is one my favorite words in the English language, but this early in the morning, hearing it over and over is rather disconcerting, I must say.

No comments:

Post a Comment