UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Carp

Friday, April 6, 2012

Carp

Carp

I'm not sure I knew about this alternative definition - as compared to the fish. Oh, that reminds me, if you wanna have fun, use a random picture of some fish - a carp would be grand! - for your monitor background at work. Fun for you, stupefying for your friends and colleagues! (And isn't that what life is all about?)

Anyway, back to carp, you know what word I really like? Harp. Not the instrument - tho I've nothing against it - I mean, as in "harp on / upon," which I thought a complete synonym of carp, but evidently not. But I think the main reason I like harp so much is because "harpie" makes me so happy.* Ironically, until I read the defs** I realized I had been using harpie incorrectly; I've always thought it was more like a flunkie - which is another word I totally dig! AAHH! And until I read that def, I had totally forgotten about "toady"!! That's an even better word!

Hmmm, I see an adjective for toady is "untoadying." Yikes! Try to use that at your next cocktail party! Oh wait, I found it used in an official publication!

A co-worker*** was assigning us all rapper names just now. I told her I wanted to Todie Harpie, but they said no; they're using an online generator. That made me sad. I can't remember now what they said it was, but I think if I do become a rapper, which could happen (you never know), I'm gonna go the L.L. Cool J. route with the abbreviations and call myself Ice Cream F.O.T.M.


*I know it -y and not -ie, but -ie just warms the cockles, as it were.
** defs - lookit me being all cool and making up my own slang. I think that makes me sort of rock or something, right?
***My contract is up on Tuesday - yes, I NEED A JOB!!

No comments:

Post a Comment