UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Hyphenate

Monday, April 9, 2012

Hyphenate

Hyphenate

Normally I write about the word of the day that was the word of the day for the day I write about the word…of the day. However, I'm making an exception here because...well, “hyphenate” can be used as a NOUN!! How much of a day brightener is that? Yes, as a matter of fact, it is a lot!! I thought that hyphenate was used only for compound words and/or adjective. ("That briedank certainly is a corn-shucker!"*)

While, as I've mentioned before, I hate the whole corporate-speak of turning nouns into verbs ("Let's round-table that later in the week."[insert visible shudder here]), turning an adjective into a noun makes me extremely joyful. I once read in Shakespeare where a character referred to the unwashed masses as 'vulgars.' LOVE that! I've been using "vulgar" as a noun ever since.***  

This means, of course, that if you're a jack-of-all-trades or an admin or a stay-at-home-mom, or anything where you have to wear different hats (as it were), you can now refer to yourself an a Hyphenate. Be proud of who you are - you are the multitasking multitalented multifaceted go-to!!

You are....The Hyphenate.

*I don't know what it means either, but it's my example and I'm sticking to it.**
**Для моих русских друзей, извините за все непереводимый жаргон.
***Yes, I know it's not nice to refer to people in such a manner. I try not to, but, well, sometimes...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment