UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Unicameral

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Unicameral

Unicameral

Oh myne god!! A post on a Sunday! AND it's not a word of the day!!

I came across unicameral this week and instantly loved it!* Another word I really get into is Amalgamated. I was trying to figure out why I liked them so much - I just really dig how they bounce around in the mouth. I realized that unicameral is trouchee and amalgamated is iambic. Obviously there are multitudes of such words in the English language, but the combination of the n/m with the c/g just makes me so happy!

I used to every-one-in-a-while tell people that one of the most famous quotes from my generation's Saturday morning cartoons was dactyl,** but no one was ever impressed (see how they are). Anyway, for those of you who haven't guessed it already, I'm talking the line from Scooby Doo: "I would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!" I'll admit, it's been years since I've seen it, but my recollection is that the phrase was said by every villain in every episode. (Try jumpin' up and down to it - now that's what I call fun!)

Speaking of poetry. Did you know you can sing "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost to the tune of "Hernando's Hideaway"? You can! Impress your friends! Amaze your family! Try it at your next cocktail party/happy hour/shower/reception/bar mitzvah/reunion/holiday gathering/public transport ride/slow airport security line/assemblage of the General UN!

*Does anyone else think it odd when people they "fall in love" with things? To me you can only "fall" in love with people. Why? You may query. Because to fall means to possibly get hurt; yer takin a chance. Falling in love with some inanimate object - or even animate, like a pet - is not taking a chance.  It's, well...weird.
**I never used the word dactyl, though, as I could never remember it. Maybe they woulda been more impressed if I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment