UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Grok

Monday, April 2, 2012

Grok

Grok

From the WotD: "'Grok' was quickly adopted by the youth culture of America and has since peppered the vernacular of those who grok it."

I'd never heard the word before today. Ouch. Does that mean I was never part of the Youth Culture, or just never part of the truly trendy? Of course I'll readily admit that I've never been very trendy. I have bought a few shirts that could be worn for just a couple years, but overall I'm way too cheap. And poor. And spend all my money on DVDs and CDs.

What this really got me thinking about, though, is slang. Oh my god! I found the book I want for my birthday!* Ah crap, my birthday was a couple weeks ago. Oh well, if the Человек, которого я люблю is reading this, he can put on the list for next Christmas. 

Anyhows, I was thinking about the history of slang and the kids of J S Bach popped into my head: 
"Hey Pop, you need to get up with the times! Your music is so...Baroque!"
"'Barock'? Was ist mit diesem 'Barock'? Meine Musik ist derzeit religiösen ... es ist nicht 'Barock. "
"Oh, Pop...!"


And thus the generation gap is born!! Who knew it all happened because musical taste was changing between the time of Bach and his kids?**


*Ever get the feeling that I make these entries up as I go along?
**Disclaimer: the generation gap probably did not happen because of Bach, his kids, and the changing tastes in music. Although J.S. did undoubtedly put his hands over his ears "Was ist it all das für ein Lärm?" (On the other hand, I said it before and I'll say it again - if Bach was alive today he would definitely approve of the circular movement of Trance. The которого я люблю tends to not side with me on this.)


No comments:

Post a Comment