UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Commemorate

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Commemorate

Commemorate

I've mentioned in the past how everyone should be a geek about something. I'm a film history geek and the 'Sband is a total classical music geek. I mean total classical music geek. So I was ever so very surprised to learn that neither he nor any of friends in college knew that Mozart and all his friends and cohorts constantly commemorate "Leader of the Pack" in their music.

I don't know about you, but when I think of classical musicians and composers, I think of them as looking down their noses at popular pop music. And yet every time Mozart, et al put a trill in their music, there it is. I'm not talking the trill itself, I'm talking the six notes that are predictably played at the end of it. Here,* if you listen to this, you'll hear the violin go into the trill and then resolve it and...what do you hear? You hear it play the phrase from "Leader of the Pack," don't you? You know you do. I'm just glad the Shangri-Las and their management and the song writers didn't sue anyone.

No reason to thank me, giving these insights is what I'm all about.

*Or 'hear' if you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment