UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Catch-22

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Catch-22

Catch-22

I will admit it. Despite the fact I was an English major and everything, I've never read Catch-22. I feel oddly unguilty about it. I started watching the movie on TV, but it was half through and I couldn't get into it.* But, as I've mentioned in the past, I read Pamela in college, which more than makes up for it - I just laughed and laughed the entire time I was reading it - comedy gold.

Speaking of books I read in college, the 'Sband and the friend who read this are going to roll their eyes, cuz I'm bringing this book up again but I can't help it. If you read the opening line of just one book this year,** it needs to be the opener for Bellefleur by Joyce Carol Oates. Seriously, click on the Look Inside and read the first sentence.

Are you back? Pretty cool, huh?? I wanted to take a sec' to let you know that I'm trying to get the links to pop up in another window, but stupid HTML. I tried following the instructions, but can't seem to get it to work. Stupid HTML.

*I just realized that could/couldn't "get into it" is probably one of the most used metaphors in our day-to-day language. Seriously, to "get into" a movie or book, one would have to morph, probably a LOT, and crawl "into" the book or movie. Thus, every time someone says "I couldn't get into it," tell them that of course they couldn't, but it's OK because you understand that they are incapable of physically entering it. They will laugh and laugh! After you've done it two or three times to the same person, let me know what the response is - talk about making new friends!
**And I do hope it's way many more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment