UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Troubadour

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Troubadour

Troubadour

The troubadour life for me!! Well, it would be if it wasn't for the house and cat and the 'sband,* but you know what I mean. Whenever I see that silly poster "Bloom where you're planted" I always want to ask the owner "what if the soil on which the seed was sown was fallow?"** I especially think it now when I'm back in my hometown visiting the 'rents. When I was in some lower level college English class we had to write haikus. I wasn't rather unsure of myself at first, but then they just poured outa me.

Small town of my birth
People here don't wear deck shoes
Lotsa beer burps.

Unfortunately I can only remember the first line, so I had to ad lib, but it was something like that.

Town surrounded by farm land
Odorous metaphoric armpit
Farm fresh spread.

Seriously, if yer ever in a restaurant and instead of butter, it's labeled 'farm fresh spread,' remind your server what it is that gets spread while still fresh on a farm.

Small town America
White picket fences - white picket values
"Whadya mean there's more to music than just Top 40? If it was any good, it would be more popular! Sheese."***

And I'm hoping that some of the kids in smaller towns know more of music because of the interwebs, but as someone who lived before the 'nets...oy...

So my reader doesn't think this is sliding into bitcholog country, going back to my hometown is really not painful like it once was. I could never live there, but family and friends still do that have prospered, so who am I to say...?

*Listed in no particular order.
**Yes, as a matter of fact, that is a quote from the Bible (sort of), thank you for noticing.
***Yes, I know haikus are 5-7-5. When was the last time you saw a bunch of American ones online that actually followed that rule?? Please.


No comments:

Post a Comment