UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Epitome

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Epitome

Epitome

Another word where the second def' over-shadows the first. I'd never even heard of the first def'. I thought that "a summary of a written work" was known as...a summary.

Anyway, I love the word epitome. Partly because of the non-silent 'e' at the end, but also because I love superlatives.* (In fact, I love the word superlative because of what it means.) The great thing about epitomizing something, and I don't feel people use this facet of the word nearly enough, is that it can be very ambiguous. Consider a moment, the following:

"Love Never Dies is the epitome of Andrew Lloyd Webber shows!"

Obviously your personal feelings toward Andy are going to color how that sentence is construed. I love ambiguity. Keeps us on our toes.

You know what I think? I think we should see if we can find the epitome of superlatives. Whadya say we DuckDuckGo "Epitome of superlatives." OK, well, there are some things I can't make up - dig the byline. Wow. And we can't forget about real estate.

And I'll admit, this is sort of making my head implode. There are so many things to say, but seriously, where to start?? What's really killing me is that main dude's name is misspelled all over the place as...well....**

And people wonder why I'm touched in the grey matter. This is the world in which I live!! Day after transcendently world-class day!

Yep. I'm lucky!

*As in the 'very good' sense of the word, not the grammatical sense.
**Which of course always makes me think of...

No comments:

Post a Comment