UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Volplane

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Volplane

(Link to the Word of the Day archive, though Volplane is not yet listed.)

Volplane (which is a not a word according to the Blogger*.com dictionary - it wants me to write "vol plane" "vol-plane" or "sailplane") means to glide, as in a plane. So I'm thinkin' to myneself, I'm thinking, "myneself, what the hell are we gonna write about when it comes to gliding, as in an airplane?" Trust-fund babies (wish I was one)? And that was about it. Then I read the description:

 "Around the time Orville and Wilbur Wright were promoting their latest 'aeroplane' in France…"

 "Aeroplane." I LOVE that spelling!! It's like the book The Faerie Queene by  Edmund Spencer. It woulda been so freakin' cool to have written at a time when you just sorta spelled stuff how you thought it should be. Seriously, "queene" is one syllable, but has four vowels - how freaking cool is that?? But then stupid Samuel "I'm feeling rather retentive today, I am" Johnson came along and ruined all the fun (look at the picture from Wikipedia…what do you see?).

 Dig all the different spellings of "Shakespeare." How fun is that? I think my favorite is Shaxpere. Oh wait, maybe not. It seems to foreshadow "snax" which would be cool, but it's been way over used by marketers. (I dislike them even more than Ben "Not only am I gonna ruin everyone's fun, I'm a racist as well!" Johnson.)
Lookit this sentence I found: "And we defende the that thou be not so hardy for euer to do vyolence vnto the holy token of the crosse the whiche we put in his forhede." Man that just makes me want to burst into bloom. There are all kinds of great sentences here. (Thanks Edmund Weiner, deputy chief editor, OED, you rock!)
Love that English language!

*Neither is "blooger," though it should be. Crap, shoulda known, good ol’ Unbandictonary.com. Look at your own risk - definition’s sort of nasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment