UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Scaramouch

Friday, August 17, 2012

Scaramouch

Scaramouch

Yes, I know what you're thinking, and it's exactly what I'm going to do: talk about a few of my favorite character actors. I would like to propose that during the Hollywood studio system, Scaramouch wasn't played by a lot of different actors, but each character actor was his or her own Scaramouch. Yes, this is a geek-out entry.*

Anyone who's anyone knows the best pre-code character was the pansy played by Franklin Pangborn. Of course (aargh!) there's not a decent clip, but, well, hell, this is anti-climactic...look for movies with him in them - he's fantastic!

Another is James Finlayson. You gotta love how he was the guy that started the Homer Simpson "DOH!" that is now international. I'm not real big on the song they use in this, but the 'sband and I love James' facial expressions. So over the top!

And then there's Ned Sparks. He never smiles. This clip will speak for itself.

And Edgar Kennedy - you can see him in action  here.

Obviously we'll close with the ever wonderful Marjorie Main. Here she is...with a whip...oh my...

I love those people in old movies. Things have changed so much with TV that we don't have such actors any more. The last one I can think of is Tom Poston (whom I just saw on a rerun of "Coach" a few days ago). If you have favorites, please post them below!!

*Everybody sing: "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, geek out! Le Geek, c'est Chic!"

No comments:

Post a Comment