UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Gimbal

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Gimbal

Gimbal

I'm proud to announce that this is the 100th Touched in the Grey Matter blog entry! Sometimes I can't believe that so many interesting things are going on in my life that I can write true and accurate reports on a daily basis.

Anyway, because of this milestone, I'm very excited to write a few words about 'gimbal.' It reminds me of one my first dates with the (now) 'sband where he and I went to an ethnic restaurant. I played it safe and got the satay platter with chicken and pork, but the future 'sband said,

"I'll have the Resep Gimbal Mi."
"Wow," thought I, "a continental!"

So the next time we went out, I said, "I'll have the taco dengan ayam."
Both the 'sband and the server looked at me like I had dropped the F-bomb or something.
"I'd like the taco dengan ayam," I repeated more slowly. (I was going to say it louder, but heard that doesn't really help - go figure.)
The server: "Are you saying some sort of taco?"
"Well, I guess if you want to be pedestrian about it, yes, with chicken." I looked at the future 'sband. "I was saying it in Malay...can't she speak the language?"
"This is a Mexican restaurant. They don't speak Malay in Mexico."
"Fine," quoth I, "what's Spanish for 'taco'?"
"Taco," returned he.
Oh, crap. What fun is that?
"I'll have the number 24. And a jarry-toe soda."
"Ummm...OK...a Jarritos soda, what flavor?"
"Red."
"Coming right up."

You know, no matter how many languages and words exist for the same thing in the world, when it comes to artificially-flavored sugary product, "red" is universal. I love that!

1 comment: