UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Volant

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Volant

Volant

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? That's right (I knew you were), from here on out I'm going to use 'volant' in all my interviews for jobs.

"And why, Mr. BrieDank, do you want to work for us?"
"I believe that Esoteryque Enterprises will allow me the catalyst to be volant in my future business endeavors."
- or -
"I believe Esoteryque Enterprises will be the wind beneath my volant flight into future business success."
- or -
"I have seen the volant success of Esoteryque Enterprises and want to join you in your exciting flight."

Once again - why am I not making a living off of this???

But the even bigger question is, why didn't we call them 'shuttlecocks' when we played badminton as kids? And the even bigger question, does anyone actually call it "badminton" or does everyone just say "badmitton"? And question No. 3 - is there indeed a difference between the two? Without over-enunciating, say 'badminton' out loud. Now say 'badmitton'. Is there a difference? Say it again - 'minton' 'mitton' 'minton' 'mitton' 'minton' 'mitton.'

You know, I sometimes think that, at least here in the States, native speakers of English have a capacity to slur their words.

No comments:

Post a Comment