UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Piquant

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Piquant

Piquant

In looking at the pronunciation of today's word and being completely confused - as is my wont* - I ended up listening to the audio to make sure I was pronouncing it right. Every time I've heard this word pronounced, people have said pee-kwaunt'. Now these Merriam-Webster know-it-all types come along and pronounce it pee'-kint. As in, "Hey, what's that peekin(t)' outa yer ear, a drag queen?**" Such a letdown.

You know what? I blame it on the French. They think they're so cool sticking all those needless letters in that never get said. It's like those unpronounceable Slavic names: "Stavloshzhchthisky" which ends up being pronounced sta-vlisky."

Alright fine. You know, o' myne faithful reader, that I love silent letters. I love how "Worcestershire" is pronounced. All those letters and we end up with "Wore-steh-sher." That's beautiful! OH! and I see in Wikipedia that the abbreviation is Worcs. How cool is that? I don't use the sauce very much, but I may have to start just so I can say "Do we/you have any Worcs?" OH OH OH!! We have an authentic fish n chips place in town owned by POHMs! I'm gonna have to go there, order something, and then say "Pardon me, but would you happen to have some Worcs?" Boy, will THEY be impressed by my continentalality! That's right, no one can call me incontinent!

*At least, you know, once in a while.
**See yesterday's post.

1 comment: