UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Lugubrious

Monday, September 10, 2012

Lugubrious

Lugubrious

Fun story: back in the day when I was hanging out in The Bars, I knew two guys that would sometimes write weird crap about each other in the toilet. One day one of them wrote:

"Richard makes me lugubrious."

Under which some unknown guy wrote:

"10w-30 or 40 weight?"

I'm sometimes so proud of my gay brethren.

But I love the word "lugubrious." It's right up there with "odious" and "ignominious." Hmmm, maybe I have a thing for little-used adjectives. Maybe I should start a club: People who Have a Thing for Under-Utilized Adjectives Group. Or PHTUUAG. I'm sure we could come up with something better, but once the dues started rolling in we could hire a PR firm to come up with a proper slogan and design. Sort of like when Kraft spent their millions of dollars on their new look, because evidently they didn't think they looked enough like Yoplait. Or when NBC thought it would be a good idea to get rid of the peacock. Oops! Or when Holiday Gas stations...oh my, that looks just like NBC, doesn't it? Or when Microsoft came out with Bing and they did their world-wide market research to make sure Bing wasn't slang for "I wanna sleep with your mother" in some country. What they didn't look into was that it's an acronym for "But It's Not Google."

Cripes. Maybe I'll do it myself.

Wow, and now for something completely different. The lead singer from the "goregrind" band Haemorrhage goes by the name Lugubrious. I love this - lookit their homepage. If you listen to the songs they've posted, you'll hear Lugubrious uttering guttural belches, which maybe it's cuz he's singing in Spanish (though* probably not), but I can't understand a thing he's singing. Why doesn't he enunciate better? Luckily there's a link to the lyrics so if you want to sing along but can't understand, you can sing along while reading. That Haemorrhage, always thinking of their fans.

Note to the 'sband: once again, aren't you glad I'm into Trance?

*So "though" is pronounce "tho," but if you take the first 'h' away...?

1 comment:

  1. The first writer must have meant lubricious which is lusty or in the modern parlance, hot. Lugubrious just makes him sadly funny. Wonder which it was. That restroom must be a soap opera of sorts.

    ReplyDelete