UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Stravage

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Stravage

Stravage

Forget 'stravage,' how about that 'extravagate'? Wow, that's my new favorite word that I will promptly forget upon releasing this entry! I just wanna use it all the time!!

Extravagate

It brings a touch of class to any hike:

"Oh, it matters not, we were extravagating the man-made ponds on our way here."

Translation:

"The stupid moron made me walk by the sewage treatment plant to get here."

Now I know what you're saying, you're saying:

"But Briedank, you changed the entire sentence, not just 'walk' to 'extravagate.'"

Are you kidding?? Of course I did! Who could use a great word like 'extravagate' and not change the other words in the sentence? You wouldn't put a real Faberge' egg on the shelf next to a Precious Moments tchotchke, would you? You wouldn't follow up a Beethoven piano Concerto by playing Chariots of Fire would you? Well, would you? The answer is no, you wouldn't. And you're not going to pollute a sentence with 'extravagate' in it with common everyday words like 'sewage' and 'treatment' and 'plant.' Which is why I'll promptly forget 'extravagate' by the end of the morning...cuz I talk using common everyday words, like, well, like 'sewage' and 'treatment' and 'plant.'

OK, I'll talk a bit about 'stravage.' You know why no one uses 'stravage'? Cuz the accent is on the second syllable. What do they think we are, French? Alright, fine, I am part French, but I'm not...Français. I mean, the only way I could get Français properly written is to copy it over from Translate. And if you were to use stravage in a poem, the only word you could rhyme with it is garage.* (And Lord knows why we of the USA have the accent on the second syllable of garage - everyone else says "GAY-rajh.") So, don't look for me to be using stravage in any future entries. I don't like it. Besides, I'll forget it by the time I go to bed tonight.

*Fine, so I don't get into trouble...

No comments:

Post a Comment