UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Wiseacre

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Wiseacre

Wiseacre

How can you not help but love this word? I always figured, though, that Wiseacre came about the way "Homey" turned into "Homefry" and "Homeslice" - or at least, you know, in some circles where such words are uttered..

Since I've been writing this blog I've noticed that the really obvious words always come up dry for me. I mean, Wiseacre, you'd think I'd have all kinds of things to say and yet, no, I don't. What am I gonna say

"Hey, have you read myne blog? I'm sort of a wiseacre!"

Whatever, Daphne. Obviously you've read it, yer here now. Cheese.

Same thing happened a few days ago when Scarlet Pimpernel came up. The 'sband thought I'd have a field day with it! "Why?" you may query. Cuz for as long as the 'sband has known me, I've been dropping

"They seek him here,
The seek him there,
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere!
Is he in heaven?
Is he in  hell?
That damn'd elusive pimpernel!!"

But other than saying I like to drop it once in a while, I got nothing. For educational purposes, I'll let you know that while there have been several versions of the film made, being a geek, I like the old one with Leslie Howard.

Uh oh. I just realized that I inadvertently indoctrinated you into the esoteric and elite group that knows the Pimpernel poem. And as such, it is now your duty to drop it occasionally at parties and things - especially if it's dull and there's a lull. But be careful - you now have the ability to entertain like few others, but with it comes great responsibility. Be wise. Go forth.

"Share the poem."

No comments:

Post a Comment