UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Calliope

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Calliope


Calliope

Per the Did You Know? section:

"Because its sound could be heard for miles around, the calliope was effective in luring patrons to river showboats, circuses, and carnivals, which is why the instrument continues its association with such attractions today."

Well, bagpipes can be heard for miles around, why aren't they used to draw us in? I know, I know, no one likes them. Well, I love bagpipes! There, I said it. I will admit, though, that any instrument with its own built-in hurdy gurdy is OK with me. The bagpipes is two! two! Two instruments in one!*

Thank goodness, tho, for Wikipedia. The other night when we were watching my newest "Blossom" DVD-of-the-month club assortment, the 'sband and I started discussing hurdy gurdies, and I referred to someone who plays one as being a "hurdy gurdyist." To which he replied

"I think they're just called hurdy gurdy players. Otherwise, it's like you're saying to them, 'of all the hurdy gurdies in the world, yer the hurdy gurdiest!'"

Needless to say, we got into a bit of a tiff over it, but, thanks to Wikipedia, we now know that they can be called either! It's always nice when a heated "discussion" ends in a tie. I think we may have gotten a bit more upset than we should have because we were both up past our bedtime. However, it just got worse because I realized I had missed the last half of my show! I mean, Six just ran off with Sonny!! Would Blossom spill the proverbial beans? No sleeping that night til I got the answer!! But don't worry, I won't spoil it for you by going into it here. I learned my lesson there when I read the last chapter of the last Harry Potter book immediately upon receiving it and started discussing it on three different fan sites. How did I know everyone else actually started at the beginning? It was so freaking long.

*Sorry - generational inside joke.

PS: I've gotten a few compliments lately on this blog. The biggest compliment you can give any blogger is by sharing it with your friends. Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment