UA-30394480-1 http://touchedinthegreymatter.blogspot.com/ Touched in the Grey Matter: Unabashed

Friday, April 27, 2012

Unabashed

Unabashed

I think some people are sometimes surprised at just how abashed I can be. I mean, if I was truly unabashed, wouldn't I use my real name on this silly blog? Of course, my friends who read this know who I am, but my non-friend reader, well, odds are, s/he never will.

That is why I never made it on the Broadway stage.  I had been cast in the revival of "The Good Little Devil" in the mid '80s at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre, and opening night I froze!! It was so embarrassing! Luckily Christopher Walken was able to talk me through it, and it was fine, but never again!! I remember at the post-show party, Liza told me I was really good, which made me feel great, but nevertheless, the fame, the glory, and the money were just not worth all the abashment I had to go through. Thus my Broadway career ended just as it was taking off.  I played the role for a week, and then my understudy took over - some guy named Hugh Jackson (or something like that?). He was fine, though I never saw Liza compliment him!

So now you know why I hide behind a nom de plume. Thing is, you have to realize that when I write, I literally have the plumage of the elusive Nom bird of the Brazilian rainforest* in front of my face. Which is why, unfortunately, you'll just about always find some misspellings or grammatical errors in my entries. The plumes are beautiful, and they really do make it easier for me to face my blog audience,** but I sometimes have to really squint to see anything through all the colors.

*Luckily I got them just days before importation of them was banned.
**Both of you!! Yes, we're celebrating with the doubling of my daily average readership.

No comments:

Post a Comment